Rivers of Alabama Day is Tuesday, April 11, 2017. As part of the celebration of our 132,000 miles of rivers and streams, Alabama Rivers Alliance will be organizing in Montgomery on this day for our annual Lobby Day to let our elected officials know that Alabamians care about our water and that we demand our legislators protect and defend our 132,000 miles of rivers and streams when making policy.
This year, we are working on a couple of pieces of legislation that will definitely impact our water resources. One bill, SB255, will allow for water to be taken out of the rivers for irrigation and that bull MUST have stronger protections for the river and downstream users.
DON’T WORRY: we will arm you with everything you need to know to talk to your representatives. The more people we have with us, the more our voices will be amplified!
If you are able to take the day off of work to spend with us in Montgomery, we need you there. We will meet that morning to arm you with ALL the tools and everything YOU need to talk to your representatives about water. You will be prepared and ready to ask your rep to #DefendRivers. It’s easy, exciting AND it will make a difference. Make plans now to join us.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (subject to change)
10 am: Meet in Montgomery for a briefing on issues and to learn the how and why from ARA (location TBA)
11 am: Lunch and Learn!
noon: SPECIAL press conference on the Capitol steps – you do not want to miss this announcement, and we need you there!
1 pm – 3 pm: Meet with your legislators! Don’t worry, we’ll be there the whole time and will walk you through each step!
ABOUT RIVERS OF ALABAMA DAY (LOBBY DAY)
Alabama has more than 132,000 miles of rivers and streams, and there is a special day dedicated to celebrating them. Rivers of Alabama Day is the second Tuesday in April. In addition to celebrating Alabama’s waterways on this day, the Alabama Rivers Alliance encourages all Alabama citizens to celebrate the vital network of grassroots groups that fight to protect them.
Rivers of Alabama Day was established in 2007 when the Alabama State Legislature passed a resolution establishing the second Tuesday in April as Rivers of Alabama Day.
- Get out on one of Alabama’s rivers and do something that you enjoy, such as going paddling, swimming, or fishing. Be sure to post photos and tag them #RiversOfAlabamaDay and/or #DefendRivers!
- Practice water conservation & efficiency. Install a rain barrel, fix a leaky pipe, or try out one of these other .
- Save water by saving energy. Do you know how the electricity used to turn on the lights in your bathroom is tied to the water that comes out of your shower? .
- Volunteer for a river protection organization in your area. Click here to see the Alabama Rivers Alliance directory of water protection organizations.
- by phone and let them know you care about Alabama’s waterways by wishing them a happy Rivers of Alabama Day!
- Have a nice tall glass of water from your tap. Do you know which water body it comes from? If not, contact your local water utility to find out.
- Work to protect rivers by becoming a citizen water monitor with . .
- Support the Alabama Rivers Alliance by making a donation.
- Support your local watershed group by making a donation.