Alabama Rivers Alliance Part-Time Development Director Job Announcement
Alabama Rivers Alliance is a statewide network of organizations working to protect and restore all of Alabama’s water resources through building partnerships, empowering citizens, and advocating for sound water policy and its enforcement.
The Alabama Rivers Alliance is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit funded solely by individuals, partner organizations, and private foundations.
PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE ARA’S WORK
- ARA values and supports the need for both local community-based advocacy and state-level policy work in order to best address the systemic threats to our rivers and water resources. Our success is dependent on the ability to balance local support with statewide leadership.
- The Alabama Rivers Alliance respects and values the full spectrum of advocacy tools available to accomplish our goals. While we believe that collaboration most often leads to the best outcome and should be our first choice in working to achieve our goals, we understand that sometimes other strategies are necessary.
- The Alabama Rivers Alliance recognizes that the success of our organization ultimately depends on our ability to include the perspectives of all Alabama citizens in the work we are doing both within our organization and throughout the broader network we support.
- The Alabama Rivers Alliance is an organization that values integrity in all that we do. We define integrity as the ability to balance our passion for environmental protection with the best available science and/or most credible information.
The Alabama Rivers Alliance seeks a dedicated individual to organize and lead a Board/staff team approach to fundraising with the goal of increasing sustainability and diversity in the organization’s funding base. This is a part-time position (20 to 30 hours/week) with the possibility of becoming full-time as revenues increase.
The Development Director is responsible for developing, organizing, and leading the Alabama Rivers Alliance’s fundraising plan with primary focus on individual giving including: major gifts, annual membership appeals, new member drive and planned giving. Additional activities include increasing revenues from special events and assisting Executive Director with grants. Accounting, financial management, support for database and social media are provided by other staff. The Director works closely with the Executive Director, other appropriate staff and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
- Must embrace the mission of the Alabama Rivers Alliance.
- Possess strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents.
- Have experience in asking for and closing gifts of $5,000 or more.
- Have experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors using professional fundraising software (experience with eTapestry a plus).
- Have experience, coursework, or other training in fundraising principles and practices.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for the environment, people, and community.
- Demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- 3-year minimum experience in professional fundraising, preferably for small nonprofit and/or advocacy organization.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters to establish effective communications.
- Grow major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Develop ideas for fundraising special events and collaborate with other staff on existing special events to increase revenues from businesses and other sponsors.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Work closely with Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop annual fundraising plans.
- Provide staff support for Board Development Committee meetings.
- Work with appropriate staff to effectively manage and utilize fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Build a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Collaborate with communications staff in the creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Assist Executive Director in grant research and cultivation of foundation donors.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Alabama Rivers Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: Development Director Search or mail to Alabama Rivers Alliance, Development Director Search c/o Cindy Lowry, 2014 6th Ave North, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35203. Questions can be e-mailed to the same address. Phone calls are highly discouraged.