Alabama has more than 132,000 miles of rivers and streams, and there is a special day dedicated to celebrating them. Rivers of Alabama Day is the second Tuesday in April. In addition to celebrating Alabama’s waterways on this day, the Alabama Rivers Alliance encourages all Alabama citizens to celebrate the vital network of grassroots groups that fight to protect them.
Rivers of Alabama Day was established in 2007 when the Alabama State Legislature passed a resolution establishing the second Tuesday in April as Rivers of Alabama Day.
1. Join us virtually by calling, writing or Tweeting/Facebooking to your local officials. Click here to find their contact information and let them know that you, as a voter, want Alabama’s water protected.
Use hashtags #RiversOfAlabamaDay and #DefendRivers when posting on social media – help amplify the message throughout the state!
2. Get out on one of Alabama’s rivers and do something that you love! Paddling, fishing, floating, swimming, gazing, whatever it may be! Be sure to post photos and tag them #RiversOfAlabamaDay and/or #DefendRivers!
3. Practice water conservation & efficiency. Install a rain barrel, fix a leaky pipe, or try out one of these other water saving tips.
4. Save water by saving energy. Do you know how the electricity used to turn on the lights in your bathroom is tied to the water that comes out of your shower? Click here to learn about the water/energy connection.
5. Volunteer for a river protection organization in your area. Click here to see the Alabama Rivers Alliance directory of water protection organizations.
6. Contact your legislators by phone and let them know you care about Alabama’s waterways by wishing them a happy Rivers of Alabama Day! Click here for their contact information.
7. Have a nice tall glass of water from your tap. Do you know which water body it comes from? If not, contact your local water utility to find out.
8. Work to protect rivers by becoming a citizen water monitor with Alabama Water Watch. Click here to find out how.
9. Support the Alabama Rivers Alliance by making a donation so we can continue our work to #DefendRivers! Click here to join or make a donation today!
10. Support your local watershed group by making a donation.