Alabama Water Rally is back — and we’re going virtual*!
Mark your calendars now for September 17 – 20 and join us from the comfort of your own home or office. Our virtual program* will consist of live plenaries and workshops featuring breakout sessions. We’ll have a few fun networking opportunities as well. PLUS a few surprises you don’t want to miss!
Our goal for Alabama Water Rally remains the same. We will work together to build effective organizations and alliances for the future we want to have: an inclusive, just and equitable future where our communities have clean water, a healthy environment and are prepared to face the challenges of climate change. These conversations are more important than ever before.
Virtual Alabama Water Rally kicks off this Thursday (September 17) at 5:30 pm with a very special welcoming which will include a land honoring ceremony with our friends from the Poarch Band of Creek Indians, followed by a poetry reading to help us all center ourselves in the moment. The evening will also feature celebrations of those who have made great impacts on their work, and will honor the environmental leaders we lost this year.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday will feature inspiring and educational discussions and breakout sessions, with several breaks built in to ward off the dreaded Zoom fatigue. Continue reading below for more or click here to read the full agenda.
Are you worried about CLIMATE CHANGE? Are you interested in learning more about how climate change is impacting Alabama and who is working to address it? With more hurricanes swirling in the Gulf than ever before, and wildfires ravaging the West, what can we do together to combat the harmful effects of climate change?
We’ll discuss climate change and more this weekend – join the conversation!
NOTE: We are thinking about all of our friends along Mobile Bay and the Gulf Coast. We hope you will register and be able to join us later this week. If you plan to or already have registered, and the storm prevents you from participating, we will definitely issue a full refund! Stay safe!
BIG thank you to Lush Cosmetics for their support of Alabama Water Rally!
Click here to learn more about Lush.
RIVER DEFENDER BEER
We are SO EXCITED for the statewide release of the NEW River Defender beer from our friends at Red Clay Brewery from Opelika! Click here for a list of places where you can find the beer. Buy it today and enjoy it with us during Water Rally!
Only $50 for a weekend PACKED
with information, discussion and celebration.
*NOTE: You do NOT need to have a computer, webcam, microphone, or other to participate in Alabama Water Rally. You can also call in from your landline or cell phone. You may miss out on some of the more interactive features of the conference, but you can still listen and learn!
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW.
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE AGENDA.
*If you need a printable copy of the agenda, please email [email protected]
BUILDING THE MOVEMENT FOR THE FUTURE
with Colette Pichon Battle
followed by a Virtual World Cafe-type interactive discussion
Collette’s keynote examines the climate crisis and its impact throughout the Gulf South. Looking through the lens of a southerner and human rights attorney focused on climate disaster, the talk will discuss how issues of race, power and privilege play out in the fight for equitable disaster recovery, just transition and environmental justice. The engaging keynote will connect the dots of our social and economic structures and explore why those who care about climate change and the environment must join the various fights for justice in Alabama.
FUTURE OF THE SOUTHEASTERN RIVER
with Scot Duncan
Southeastern rivers are among the most beautiful and biodiverse in the world, yet their capacity to sustain species and humanity has been weakened by centuries of heavy management. Climate change—and the many challenges it brings—is causing us to rethink our relationship with rivers. Author Scot Duncan explores how as we are forced to adjust to the new climate, we have an unprecedented opportunity to re-engineer how we live with rivers so that both humanity and biodiversity can enjoy a secure and prosperous future.
SESSION TOPICS INCLUDE:
- PFOA/PFAS impacts in Alabama and practical policy solutions
- Organizing in the mostly virtual world
- Building and maintaining strong organizations – diversifying both human and financial resources
- Improving transparency and public notification policies
- Influencing power companies and water utilities
- Dams and the importance of fish passage to Alabama’s aquatic biodiversity
- Click here to see the full agenda.
OTHER EXCITING THINGS
- The Online World Premiere of the 2020 Southern Exposure Films, brought to us during Water Rally by our friends at Alabama Public Television. Click here to register.
- The ever-popular Junior Board Plenary returns on Sunday morning! This year’s focus will be on the youth-led activism in Alabama and beyond.
- Sunday Fish Sketch – learn more and participate in this super fun experience that takes place every Sunday on Twitter! Hank will host a quick tutorial for drawing bass/bream, paying close attention to colors, forms and anatomy of the fish. Join the Zoom with your coffee, pens or colored pencils and paper and let your creative juices flow!
- Choose Your Own Conversation networking opportunities with topic-specific discussions! You can hop in or out of a discussion like you would in the hallways of Rally!
- Taste the brand new River Defender beer** from Red Clay Brewery and then hear directly from the brewmasters about their process and plans for the new beer, which we are sure will become your new favorite!
** beer will be available for purchase at various craft beer stores and restaurants across the state. Click here to learn more.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW.