Alabama Water Rally:
Building the Movement for the Future
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
From the climate changing around us to funding opportunities shifting their focus to a new generation rising and wanting to take on new responsibilities, we must ask ourselves: are we ready to embrace and grow with these changes? Do we have everyone at the table to address these challenges? Are we including the right voices to move into the next decade? Are we ready, as the environmental movement in Alabama, to tackle the changes happening all around us?
Join the Alabama Rivers Alliance, our network of river defenders, and interested individuals from across the state and region for a weekend of exploring issues and ideas impacting our water and our rivers.
Our plenary sessions and keynote speakers will focus on working together to build effective organizations and alliances for the future we want to have – an inclusive, just and equitable future with clean water and a healthy environment for all. We would love to hear from you if you have a breakout session topic you would like to present or suggest.
Please use the following topic areas as a guide for your proposals:
- Water quality and pollution (drinking water, PFOX, coal ash, sedimentation, etc)
- Government and transparency (public notification, agency structure and function, access to information, etc)
- Water quantity and management (dams and fish passage, water use, river flows, droughts/floods, water planning, etc)
- Climate Change (impacts in Alabama, energy and water, Green New Deal, etc)
- Leadership (board development, succession planning, volunteer recruitment, etc)
- Theory of change strategies (collaboration, organizing, legal/regulatory campaign planning, etc)
- Fundraising (membership and individual giving, grant writing, events, etc)
- Diversity/Equity/Inclusion/Justice (internal organizational planning and training, board development and recruitment, volunteer training, etc)
- Hands-on programs and activities that educators can take back to their students and the broader community
- Educational methods for communicating the science/policy issues listed above to students
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
If you are an expert on a particular topic that fits in one of these categories, we invite you to submit a presentation proposal to us. If you have someone in mind that you would like to see present on one of these areas, please share this with them and ask them to submit a proposal. We want to hear from YOU.
Water Rally registration fees are waived for presenters for their presentation day. Lodging and travel assistance may be available on a case by case basis.
Alabama Water Rally presentations are typically 60-90 minutes and can be just you, or you can pull together a panel with multiple experts to tell the complete story. This can be done through presentations, group activities, or opportunities for participant participation. Presentations can be formal or casual, lecture or interactive. You may bring handouts, photos, stories and any other materials. The best presentations incorporate some type of training or teaching that leaves participants with something they can take back to their community! We are asking our presenters to consider Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice within their presentation and to address the importance therein where applicable.