Rivers of Alabama Day is Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Alabama citizens are encouraged to celebrate by getting out on Alabama’s rivers and river protection movement
Rivers of Alabama Day was established in 2007 when the Alabama State Legislature passed. Supported by both houses of the legislature, the purpose of this day is “to recognize the many valuable assets rivers bring to the State of Alabama.” According to the resolution, Alabama’s rivers are a blessing to the state since they provide habitat to high quality freshwater fish, mussel, snail, and crawfish species; supply the water essential to agriculture and and industry; and support the state’s multimillion dollar tourism industry.
The Alabama Rivers Alliance offers citizens a variety of suggested ways to celebrate this special day:
- Get out on one of Alabama’s rivers and do something that you enjoy, such as going paddling, swimming, or fishing.
- Practice water conservation & efficiency. Install a rain barrel, fix a leaky pipe, or try out one of these other .
- Save water by saving energy. Do you know how the electricity used to turn on the lights in your bathroom is tied to the water that comes out of your shower? .
- Volunteer for a river protection organization in your area. Click here to see the .
- and let them know you care about Alabama’s waterways by wishing them a happy Rivers of Alabama Day.
- Have a nice tall glass of water from your tap. Do you know which water body it comes from? If not, contact your local water utility to find out.
- Work to protect rivers by becoming a citizen water monitor with . .
- Support the Alabama Rivers Alliance by .
- Support by making a donation.
- and let others know about Rivers of Alabama Day.
“Our staff will be spending the day on Alabama’s rivers to remind us what we are working to protect,” Lowry continued. “Then at 6pm we will gather at, a local Birmingham brewery that uses drinking water from the Black Warrior river to make their product, to have a toast to Alabama’s rivers. We would like to invite anyone who is interested to join us!”